Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Bi Apple release party

Two things of note and concern to both you and I happened this weekend. In reverse-chronological order: I started this blog, and Audacia Ray and Bella Vendetta threw a release party for The Bi Apple.

In case you didn't know, I worked on The Bi Apple in the capacity of a production manager. What does that mean? You can read all about it in an interview with me over at Audacia's site. What else does that mean? It means that I got into the party for free, baby! Yeah!

What does this have to do with me starting my blog today? Well, I feel that a hallmark of any successful blog is a large and steady readership. The only way to attract readership is to get noticed, and if my experiences with the blog world have taught me anything so far, it's that a good way to get noticed is to relentlessly name-drop as often and as egregiously as possible. As a good portion of the sexblogosphere was present at last night's shindig, a party report gives me the perfect opportunity to do just that.

So: I arrived at the Pussycat Lounge at about 10PM with my pal Luke and a posse of his friends in tow. The super-hot Simone Valentino and Dacia were already hard at work signing copies of the movie. I got my copy signed promptly, and then much to my surprise a few people asked me to sign their covers as well. I wasn't expecting that, considering that I only appear in the special features, and even then mostly from the wrists down. I circulated a bit, secured a drink for myself and promptly ran into ReVay, our lesbian superheroine, and shortly thereafter the lovely and talented Lux Nightmare, who gave me a Sexerati pin which I wore proudly for the rest of the night. Later in the evening Lux showed me her very sexy Roller Derby shin-bruise. Why was it a sexy bruise? Because it was wearing hot pink fishnets, of course.

A little bit later Phil Forrest, who worked with me on the film as a PA, showed with his SO. Phil was wearing a heavy wool sweater and I think he stuck around for maybe half an hour before the heat drove him back out into the dark Manhattan night. Erin Siegal, another talented photographer, was also there. Erin is just about the best person on the planet with whom to share a hug, and was sporting a new (to me) brunette look. Other crew members that showed up: Santos, one of our other PAs, with a freshly-shaved head and Will, our behind-the-scenes camera guy. I said hello to Candida Royalle (proud winner of a silicone vibrator in one of the raffle drawings) and Rachel Kramer Bussel, and though I'm fairly sure neither one of them recognized me, I don't hold it against them. I've only met Candida once and Rachel maybe twice, and I'm sure they both meet so many people it all starts to blur together. And was that Melissa Gira that stopped me and complimented me on my Sexerati pin? I'm not really sure -- I only know her from the interwebs. It could have been her, though. Perhaps if I had had one less G&T, I could have made a more definite identification.

More NYC sex bloggers showed up a bit later. Viv was there, of course, and Lex and Les of the Naked Loft Party, and Jefferson, and I think I spotted Lolita Wolf there but I didn't get a chance to wade through the teeming throngs and say hello.

And when I say teeming, I do mean teeming. It was standing room only for a good while, both floors, especially when the stage shows started. There were lap dances, burlesque performances, girl/girl hot wax acts, flesh-hook suspensions and, of course, raffles. I won nothing in the raffles, though the contents of my gift bag were more fun than they had any right to be.

I ended up having to leave a little earlier than I would have liked -- I was crashing with some friends of mine that live in the city, and I didn't want to end up stumbling back to their apartment at 4 in the morning, waking them up with the buzzing of a doorbell and the smell of too much Bombay Sapphire wafting up from the street. I would have liked to stay longer but, in truth, I was pretty exhausted anyway, and I had foolishly booked my bus ticket back to Philly for an absurdly early morning hour.

And here I am.

2 comments:

Viviane said...

Yee haw!

Welcome, pal.

xoxox

Unknown said...

Alas, it was not Melissa: she was off in SF that night. Would that she were in NYC!